Monday, August 4, 2008

XTERRA Appalachia and Sunday ride report

Did the eastern shore loop this afternoon with Andy, Zewacki, Matt and Sean. Had a pretty good ride for the most part except that I did have a little heart flip about 14 miles in. I did a pretty hard effort on one of the climbs and let up before I reached the top. About a minute later I was in affib. It only stayed out for about a minute or two then came back and was fine for the rest of the ride. I was able to ride pretty hard from that point on except for the fact that the salad that I had for lunch left me with little energy for the last 7 miles or so.

XTERRA Appalachia.......

Yesterday was also our second annual XTERRA Appalachia event. We had a pretty good turnout, I'm not sure if it was as many as last year but with the cost of travel these days I would say that it was pretty good. We had people from as far away as California last year, this year I spoke to some people from Maryland and the Poconos in the Northern part of our state.

I went out early with my son and Sean to set up in case anybody needed repair work, also a couple of guys that came to the race, this must have been their first XTERRA, didn't bring their helmets with them so I sold them a couple since I'm pretty sure that they did not own one. The other thing I don't get about this particular event, and I am not sure if it is this way at all of them, but , I have been to allot of races in my time and I have never seen so many people need repairs done the day of the race. Everything form brake adjustments to one guys brakes needing to be bled to another guys front brake pad rubbing a hole in his front tire.How can you go to a race that involves riding a bike and not bring a bike that is working properly?

We weren't able to stay for the end of the event of the reward ceremony but we did stay long enough to see the winner cross the finish line in under 1 1/2 hours. These races are fun to watch and I like to sit where I can get a good view of the transition area. Its funny to see how exhaustion and hypoxia wreak havoc on your ability to follow even the simplest of instruction, even with people pointing and telling you were to go. Even watching the participants dismount their bikes is comical, I saw so many people unclip swing a leg over the bike like they were going to take off running to the transition area only to stop and stand there like they were done or something.

A funny thing happened on the way to work the other day.......

So my son and I are on our way to work the other day and we are just kind of meandering down the road and chatting. I happen to glance up into my rear view mirror just in time to see this little black kitten pouncing across the road about 200 yards behind me. Now one of our cats had kittens not too long ago and one of them happens to be black. by the time my mind processes all of this, remember it is early in the morning, I realize that said black kitten is probably ours. I am guessing that she had crawled up under the truck and decided that this would be a good time to get off. Fortunately it didn't appear that she got hurt, unfortunately we have still been unable to find her. I am sure that somebody found her and took here in , there are allot of houses and apartments around.

Tennis anyone?????

Found a couple of interesting articles on the past couple of rides. Now I'm no Beachcomber, but if I happen to spot something worth picking up I will. I found the racket cover on Thursdays ride and the tennis ball on Sunday.

No comments: